Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
TEN BOOKS PERFECT FOR READING AROUND HALLOWEEN:
1. ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD by Kendare Blake -Definitely creepy and spooky. This is a great read to get you in the mood for a haunted Halloween. Anna is one scary ghost but she’s also a flawed character which makes her appealing and worthy of cheering for.
2. THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH by Carrie Ryan – One of my fave zombie books. I literally sat like a zombie staring off into space after reading this frightening book. If you don’t like books that will freak you out, plus this one has a whopper of an ending, then you might want to read it with the lights turned on while cracking the spine.
3. NEVERMORE by Kelly Creagh – Though not super scary…this is one of my favorite books ever! Not only does it feature a male love interest who’s sexy, charismatic and definitely emo…it’s about Edgar Allan Poe. You can’t get anymore Halloween than that!
4. THE HISTORIAN by Elizabeth Kostova – This book has it all…historical intrigue, lush and vivid settings, a cooler than cool protagonist and of course…Dracula! If you haven’t read this one yet…where have you been?
5. DRACULA by Bram Stoker – Need I say more?
6. HEX HALL by Rachel Hawkins – Definitely not scary, but a fun and hilarious read that’s great for a good laugh on such a ghoulish night!
7. THE LITTLE OLD LADY WHO WAS NOT AFRAID OF ANYTHING by Linda Williams — Okay, okay, I’m sure you’re saying what happened to the creepy reads? This book is sooo not scary! But it’s great for the kiddies! I’ve enjoyed reading it my preschool classroom. 3-year-olds love it, especially all the sounds, stomping and clapping they can do while you read it to them!
8. THE MARK OF THE CHADWICKS by Jo-Ann Power – This is an oldie but goodie. It’s one of my favorite Zebra Gothic Romances. What’s a Zebra Gothic Romance? Unfortunately, they went out of print years ago. They featured a girl on the cover running away from a castle sitting high atop a hill near a storm-swept coast. The stories surrounded a young woman who usually takes a job as a governess and ends up falling in the love with the father of her young charge during the 1800s. Of course, mystery, thrills and chills haunt her throughout the story. I gobbled up them up like candy as a teenager. THE MARK OF THE CHADWICKS was about young American widow who returns to England for the reading of her father’s will. Prior to the novels opening, Vanessa Chadwick caused scandal by having an affair with her late husband’s brother. Jack the Ripper makes an appearance, too.
9. MISERY by Stephen King – I read this Stephen King book years ago. Sadly, I never picked up another book by this prolific writer of horror again. Not to say that I think King is a terrible author…just the opposite. He freaked me out so much that I’m sure it spurred by dislike for straight horror novels after that.
10. FROST by Marianna Baer – I just finished reading this and it’s definitely a good ghost story. It’s about a girl who lives in an old Victorian house on the campus of her boarding school. Old Victorian house…usually means spooky ghost. Yes, you can definitely count on being spooked out by this 2011 debut! Check back for my review later this week!
What books do you think are perfect Halloween reads? Read any on my list? Also, TELL WHAT YOU ARE DRESSING UP AS FOR HALLOWEEEEN…if in fact you are dressing
I’m dressing up as a witch! I know it’s a standard costume, but my preschool class is gonna love it!